Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Good Medicine in a couple of forms.

Some of you may recall my words on legalism over the past few years. It is never very attractive, in the realm of spiritual practice, food, or anything else for that matter.

SO, while I regularly teach that white flour and other simple carbs are not helpful in one's everyday diet, sometimes a big, fat cheeseburger and fries, preferably in a small, locally owned burger joint like Magoo's here in Alpine is just what the comfort doctor ordered.

I practiced mindfulness as I chomped into that burger. The melty cheese, the toasty bun, the hand-formed beef patty satisfied my hungry heart for a few minutes. Aaah. I smile to think of that pleasurable lunch.

That said, it was great motivation for me to get out for an early evening two mile walk to compensate for all those carbs. I spent some time praying on the walk. I enjoyed the crystal blue sky. The moist air, the blond grasses. A few whys and what fors and how longs? But most of all, I delighted in the bright sunlight! At one point I raised up my arms in joyful prayer, telling the sun I was ever so glad to see him out so late on a weekday. Even now, almost 6:30 pm, the skies are bright, the shadows growing longer, but, shadows require sun, and sun there is.

Oh, I think I might survive the winter, she says with a sarcastic grin and a sigh of relief, knowing that it is absolutely ridiculous to get mopey with only 6 days of cold dark over the course of several weeks of winter here in the Chihuahuan high desert. Seriously...


No comments: